music | video | bio | photos | shows | buy | blog | press | epk | contact | home

Friday, May 27, 2011

Recording Next Time


“Next Time” is the type of full-belt song that could easily be played by the Rolling Stones. My idea was to do it without amplification and prove that you can still rock it out with acoustic instruments!

Adam was on drums, Jesse on upright bass, I was on National resonator, Jane on duet vocal, with Tannis and Katherine on harmonies for the big ending. Adam was in the dining room, I was in the living room, Jesse in the front hallway and Jane, Tannis and Katherine were in the upstairs hall.

As always, it takes a few passes to get warmed up and in the groove, and everything was rolling like my arrangement. At one point, the girls began suggesting adjustments to the vocal dynamics, and started singing the ending with more punch. Then they considered building their part from a more staccato, “next time!” at the beginning, to a longer, “next t-i-i-i-ime!” in the finale. We did a hell of a lot of takes, but it was worth it! Sometimes you can’t know these things until you’re in it. 

Adam "thwacking" with his bundles. "Drumsticks? I don' need no stinkin' drumsticks!"

Jesse thumpin' on the upright. "Amp? I don' need no stinkin' amp!"

Me getting nasty with the slide. "Happy songs? I don' need no stinkin' happy songs!"

Jane happily singing a miserable song while air knitting. "Needles? I don' need no stinkin' needles!"

Tannis singing "next time" a million times while Katherine does her best Joe Cocker impression. "Help from my friends? I don' need no stinkin' help from my friends!"




No comments:

Post a Comment